Sunday, August 18, 2013

Chat about "The Hat"

My kiddos just finished "The Hat" last week.  Here are my thoughts on that story:

  1. I hate how short and predictable this story is.  Kids have it memorized so fast.  Every year, I get a little show-off who proves that they can "read" it with their eyes shut.  It is great for building confidence in kids who are not yet readers.  This is why it is great to supplement with other books.  My kiddos have 8-10 good-fit books in their desks each week.
  2. I just started introducing the reading stations this week.  My kids worked on "Connect 4 Fluency", Handwriting Practice, and Roll and Write Spelling.  We practiced "Read to Self" and "Read to Someone" the first week of school.  Next week, we will use all of these stations and I will add Word Power and Comprehension Clips.  I always have better luck taking my time introducing stations.  I like them to know what I expect from each station.  At this point in the year, they are such babies.  I don't want to frustrate them or overwhelm them with too much information all at once.
  3. Is it just me or does Holly Keller REALLY look like Nanny McPhee?
 
What are your thoughts about this story?  Do you have any ideas, comments, or questions?  Post them in the comments below!  Have a great week and hold on to your hats!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment